Sunday, November 2, 2008

For Mature Audiences Only

The phrase "M" for mature themes" means gratutous sex, violence and abuse. This designation assures the world at large that only mature audiences will tune in. The ratings board has evaluated exhaustive advertising studies to assure that.

They must have also discovered some sort of coping mechanism that turns on automatically when we mature so we can stomach filth. Is it that same thingy that makes us incontinent at that same phase?

I'm coming up on the grandma age and still the M stands for morally repugnant to me. I can be immersed in the middle of a PG movie, book or television show and gratutous stuff (used to get an R rating) comes on and I still have to fling it away or turn it off.

Perhaps the thingy that kicks in to render us "mature" is desensitization. We've been there and we've done that, and we think that kicking up a fuss really wouldn't work anyway.

So I just go on holding it all in and that means I can start looking forward to the next phase of maturity, the constipation age.

(Hey, the title warned you didn't it?)

1 comment:

Jules said...

You are right. The "M" is for morally repugnant.

Past the incontinent stage, not yet to the constipated age... hmm where does that put me?

You did warn me.

A Worrisome Thump

           What is that noise?             I’m jarred awake by a noise in the dark. Down the hallway—a bump or a thump. My action thriller b...