Tuesday, November 4, 2008

If It Made a Difference

I love election day! I anticipate it with bated breath. I love to pretend with the rest of the world that there is some drama playing out. I tell myself that this is as exciting as a great sports matchup and can’t wait to see just how the brawl will turn out.

I’m picturing the day after, and the candidates moms waiting like good parents until the battle is over so they can pluck the two apart and smack their heads together and send them on their way to write the apologies for the poor sportsmanship they have shown one another. I pretend there is some comeuppance to be had. It makes me feel better.

It’s partially my fault, as I must encourage it. Somehow, the battle is fiercest because I am such a prize. I am the beautiful prom queen to be won by the player who manages to knock the other out of the running and convince me to select them.

But, in reality, I’m the ugly stepsister, who they are not worried about winning over at all. My 10 year old learned yesterday that he has spent the entire school year consumed with making the right choice. He has researched every issue, every part and parcel of the entire rule book front to back, and yesterday he found that voting is a fluke, that his game was thrown long before he ever gets to play.

Maybe a good conk on the head is what all of us need. It seems to work for them. They turn about and manage to play together again tomorrow as if nothing ever happened.

My 18 year old daughter repeats the internet quote, “Pshaw, Mom!” If our votes made any difference, would they let us do it?”

So go vote! Vote!

or don't.

In the big picture, it's all the same.

3 comments:

Jules said...

What an interesting way to look at it. I too feel like everything is decided long before the ballots are cast.

My prayers are just that whoever is elected does less damage than they are capable of.

Neko Carrillo said...

I felt the same way the last two elections.

We've already seen what can be done. Now lets see what can be undone.

valgae said...

I have used Dia's quote often now. It confuses fellow bright eyed Texans that I will say it out loud I guess. LOL It also confuses them that I have been saying that golden boy Obama will win and that the country of whiners deserve what they get. hehehe...now that being said, I think our next prez is a good man and I think that is a really good thing. In reality neither of these men relate to me and my family. It always amuses me that the rich, pompous democrat offers that up like its is a morsel of truth. The lesser of two evils is getting harder and harder every 4 years. I love Ed's thoughts on the whole deal.... he votes for the guy that tells him the lies he wants to hear. ;)

A Worrisome Thump

           What is that noise?             I’m jarred awake by a noise in the dark. Down the hallway—a bump or a thump. My action thriller b...