Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ice is Work!


What would we do without helpful neighbors?


Ice Ice, Ice, last week we were iced in and like the rest of the city, we stuck close in and waited it out. We're from the land of snow and blizzards, but ice storms are a whole other beast.
After four days of climbing the cabin walls, I sent the boys out to de-ice. I joined them in 50 degree shortsleeve weather to begin the work of chipping off our three inch accumulation. After a couple of hours, the neighbor yelled from across the street, "If you wait til tomorrow, it will be melted."
That is the typical Tulsa response. The natives know that ice storms are reassuringly followed by 60 degree weather that melts the chill and salves the shock.


Moments before, I had just stated that fact to the boys. Unfortunately, I had a party scheduled that next morning, so there would be no waiting--for reasons of liability. So I shouted back that that regretful caveat.


Next thing I knew, this helpful man had hopped in his car, slipped and slithered his way across the street and was giving me all kinds of opinions and advice. "You will just make things worse. This melting will be a sheet tomorrow." "You know what your only hope is?"

"Yes," I responded, "I do have an intimate knowledge of rock salt, as I am originally from the state with the only inland salt lake."


"Well, the man sighed, "Okay" and I could see it in his eyes, "I can't rescue this woman from herself." and then slid himself back across the street, home.

And my sons and I went back to chopping, chipping, and scraping, ever grateful for helpful neighbors.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I read this a while ago and had to chuckle. I love your perspective!

A Worrisome Thump

           What is that noise?             I’m jarred awake by a noise in the dark. Down the hallway—a bump or a thump. My action thriller b...