Sunday, December 28, 2008

Darn It

I'm told by the mother-in-law that this is not darning. It's stitching. Darning is a more complicated process of stretching the sock over a lightbulb or some such item, performing an unraveling of the upper portion of the sock to acquire matching thread, then stitching tiny connecting stitches to secure the complex weaving motion of the darning art.
Hey, I think that anytime I am stitching together socks that have a hole and making them wearable, even using the son's heel as the lightbulb, I'm darning. Five pair, all wool, all fail in the same place, all within one week of wearing! What a waste! Too bad I tossed the wrapper or they would be returned. (Which is what the manufacturer is counting on! As I have related before--it's a conspiracy!)

So, I'm darning! At least I'm not damning!

3 comments:

Jules said...

My mom talked about darning socks growing up. I am so glad they are much easier and cheaper to attain than in the 40s and 50s. I think I'd live somewhere warm just to avoid damning.. oops I mean darning.

Lisa Chin said...

You are amazing. I would just toss them, even if I had just bought them. I'm so wastful!

valgae said...

yeah.... the manufacturers count on us to trust them to put out a quality prod or at least forget how crappy it was last time. My prob is the latter. I always forget and throw the pkgs away!!

A Worrisome Thump

           What is that noise?             I’m jarred awake by a noise in the dark. Down the hallway—a bump or a thump. My action thriller b...