Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Onward, Ever Onward


I drove all the way to Utah awake! I did nap at intervals during the trip, but NOT when I was driving; I was totally and completely awake!

That's a first. Usually Dave is driving and over the past fifty cross-country treks (approx. 900 hours), I've probably driven twenty. He only lets me drive when he's reached his limit of endurance and needs the adrenalin rush of a near death experience to keep him going.

I sleep in the car. As a child, eleven of us would embark, and within minutes at least nine of us were expected to take the shortcut and sleep. The prize positions were on the backseat floor, head toward the hump, or sprawled across the back window. I think it became such habit that it wasn't even drug induced.

That was the life. And I continue that lovely tradition. But this time... I drove! I'm so proud. And we didn't get lost... another bad habit for another story. But most importantly, the college-bound daughter is safely ensconced at the University.

We experienced the thrill of multiple successes with tight packing, great shopping, exciting unpacking, great roommates, happy dorm life, delectable food opportunities, and then, they won the football game! What a great portend for the year to come!

The high couldn't be dampened by the farewell. After all, we see her next month, and for Christmas, and Spring Break, and all next summer. The poor thing may never be rid of us.

Onward...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't dare say too much for fear my terrible grasp of the english language will show.....yeah, too late! I'm just in awe how long, and often, you drive home to Kamas. What a family!!!

A Worrisome Thump

           What is that noise?             I’m jarred awake by a noise in the dark. Down the hallway—a bump or a thump. My action thriller b...