Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Compu ordered

For those of us who are obsessed with organization, we are now offered a brand new tool.

It's a Home Inventory program available online by Intuit, the makers of Quicken, the other anal retentive offering for finance freaks. Somehow, I install this program and the computer reaches out its tentacles from the screen and scans the entire household and accomplishes what I have been unable to imagine even in my wildest! I checked and it says no web cam necessary!

We can now keep an organized record of possessions and receipts with photographs. This could indeed help me, but I'm a little dubious of how it will find what I cannot, and I'm right here... in person.

How does it do it? I'm wondering if I have to leave town for a couple of weeks, (it would just be bad if the software, while making this organized record accidently snapped a photo of me inflagrante delicto). (I've checked, and there is no spell check for that word, nor definition, so it better mean what I meant it to mean--naked ugly.)

It promises to help expedite insurance claims with documented evidence of everything we own. Even I don't know what I own, again this mystifies me!

It even promises to easily track belongings when I move! Wow, I've talked about packing up and moving one house down for years, but see how easy this would make initiating my National Moving theory? However, since my moving plan was my answer to the world's organizing problems, perhaps this small computer program ($29.95) would make the National Move unnecessary?

It will simplify estate planning by recording each item and noting its beneficiary. It not only knows what I have, but who I want it to go to when I'm dead! This is just frightening! I told my husband there was a conspiracy!

It sums up the sales pitch by touching on my final paranoia. "This is all a key step in preparing for an emergency." Sounds to me like the emergency is that big brother knows all together too much for my own good!

Either it knows to much, or I'm expected to expend some serious time and input some inordinately large amounts of trivial information into this program. I am far too busy to waste time and energy scrapbooking my possessions.

I'm too busy blogging.

4 comments:

Sabeys said...

Maum,
"professes the following:" must be followed by a bolded bulletpoint. otherwise, it's too confusing--who's talking, terina or the ad?
it's = its. check them.
Even I don't know what I own! Again, this mystifies me.
^^see if you want to break up more of your sentences. it makes it easier to follow.

your happy grammarian. Dia

Jules said...

Does the program help you decide who gets the dog? This comes from people who didn't know they weren't dog people until they bought a dog (adding salt in wound - 11 years ago).

I wish I had a grammarian in my house! BTW grammar rules do not apply in comments.. right?

Jenna Jean said...

Please don't let Dia read my blog! Grammarian scares me!!!

Ed said...

I can't help but thinking that all of those programs are just Excel with a few bells & whistles. If I was on a desert island....Excel would be it!! I would organize coconuts or something.

A Worrisome Thump

           What is that noise?             I’m jarred awake by a noise in the dark. Down the hallway—a bump or a thump. My action thriller b...