Friday, November 10, 2017

Birthdays and Boys

"Mom, here's your present. Read the card first."

"Oh, Aidan. Did you make it?" I ask.

"Nah, but it's funny," Aidan says.

So I pluck the card off the top of the present and I open it.

It's one of my cards... that I made.

I look at him sideways. 
Certainly he knows I made it?

"Read it, Mom!" he insists.

"I must say you look fabulous." I read it, 
and then I open it to the inside. 

"And on my birthday you must tell me I look fabulous."

He laughs and laughs, and so I laugh. 
At him.

Finally he breaks off, "Funny, Huh, Mom?"

Yeah Aidan. Funny. On so many levels.

And I get the feeling 
that he and I will split the lemonheads 
that I bought 
for him 
to give me 
as my present.



That's my Reality and Sometimes It Bites.  And When It Does, I Write. 




9/10/10

No comments:

A Worrisome Thump

           What is that noise?             I’m jarred awake by a noise in the dark. Down the hallway—a bump or a thump. My action thriller b...