Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Marsh Paste

It’s one of the winding up days, leading to college. Aidan has already removed Dia from the back-to-School “Tell All About Me” poster. He has a brother, father, mother and cats.

“Well she’s gone isn’t she?” he reasons.

The two of them are downstairs perusing the contents of the freezer. Dia makes a selection and is in the course of spooning out a bite when Aidan says, “What’s that stuff.”

“It’s marsh paste.” “Yuck,” Dia comments, thinking fast.

“Hmm, what’s in it?” He asks, wrinkling his nose.

First you take, marshmellows and you pound them, then you add cornmeal and okra and then roll it,”

“Yuck,” he interrupts, and moves onto the other mystery contents.

Dia turns her back to talk to me and moments later we hear,

“YUM! I love marsh paste.”

Dia races over to the table and snatches the container of frozen whipped cream from Aidan, cuffing him in the process and sending him scuttling off to the nether regions of the freezer in search of more “YUCKY” stuff.

“You should just be able to tell them something is gross and have them trust you,” Dia states huffily.

I respond, “Your kids are going to be so messed up.”

She replies, “And that would make you sad… because then there will be nothing left for you to do.”

Ah, I’ll miss her when she goes. She makes me laugh.

1 comment:

Jenna Jean said...

When does school start for Dia? Olivia starts on Monday :( I will survive, I will survive!

A Worrisome Thump

           What is that noise?             I’m jarred awake by a noise in the dark. Down the hallway—a bump or a thump. My action thriller b...